This cooked custard makes a wonderful cake filling or can be used in pastries such as eclairs.
- 1000 ml whole milk
- 5 ml vanilla
- 225 gr sugar
- 75 gr cornstarch
- 10 egg yolks
- 60 gr unsalted butter
- Bring milk, vanilla and 120 gr of sugar to boil in saucepan over medium high heat.
- In non-reactive bowl (stainless steel or glass work well) whisk egg yolks and 105 gr sugar.
- Whisk in cornstarch.
- Temper yolk mixture with 1/2 of the boiling milk, whisking to avoid scrambling the egg.
- Return tempered egg mixture to saucepan and bring to boil for 2 minutes.
- Pour into bowl over ice bath and stir in butter until melted.
- Cool completely and use as needed.